I really don’t want to dwell on the weather and how it impacts everything we do around here, so I will talk about electricity instead.  Electricity, or should I say the lack of it, has just as profound an impact on everything we do.   Today was one of those all-day rainy days.  The rain started at 3:00 am at which time I got up, went to my computer and checked the radar.  It looked like a gentle rain so back to bed I went.  The rain never let up until about 5:00 pm.  It’s Wednesday, one of our busiest days, so we had a fairly good sized crew, 23 workers all morning.  The harvest was all in, and nothing else was pressing enough to go outside and work for 4 hours in the rain and mud.  Luckily there was plenty to do in the packing shed.  We washed and banded rhubarb and scallions (9 people for 6 hours); we banded garlic scapes (2.5 hours for another 9 people).  Three people kept busy bagging spinach.  Then we broke into all of the stacked up cleaning jobs – washing dirty styrofoam planting flats, delivery totes and strawberry containers.  A few people did get to put on full rain gear and go out to plant hot pepper plants and melon seeds.  We ate lunch in the greenhouse because it was dry.  Our afternoon started out with potato bagging.  Then poof, at 1:30 we lost power.  For no apparent reason, just gone.  All became very quiet.  We are used to the background noise of compressors and evaporators that run our coolers, the compressor that powers our pneumatic bagging scale.  We can hear the fans in the greenhouse moving air and the hum of the computer in the barn office.  It all stopped.  Silence is wonderful, unless it signals something wrong.  This silence was wrong. We couldn’t open our coolers or we would let precious cool air escape and if we did need to go in we wore a headlamp to see in the pitch darkness.  We couldn’t continue using the bagger to bag the potatoes; we couldn’t do all of our essential Wednesday office work.  No computer, no voice mail, no internet, no water.  But we had to get as much work done as possible.  We have one table scale that runs with batteries, so the potatoes could get bagged.  We had just filled up a 100 gallon tub of water to wash the strawberry containers, so that became our only source of water for the rest of the day.  It was odd and a bit eerie.  It’s now 6:30 pm, I’m typing on a lap top, still no power.  Black Earth Electric says they’re working on it.  

Early morning scallion harvest - Tuesday


Deb and Leah got to go out and plant peppers in the rain and mud - Wednesday


Deb and Joel potting up your basil plant